Tuesday 10 March 2020

Movies: Onward (U), Military Wives (12A), Fantasy Island (15) & The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (DVD - 12A)


Onward (U) - what's it about? Two brothers go on a quest to find a gem which will bring their father back from the dead for a day.

Ok I'd been waiting for this for ages. It's the latest Pixar creation, featuring all new characters and stuff which is cool, as it's nice to have something fresh and new from them. This really doesn't disappoint, as a geek I really found the characters quite funny and could relate to them a lot, I'm not sure a non-nerdy person would find it as amusing though. Yeah its a good little adventure story which has some fun characters and a good little story to boot. Yep its definitely as good as I was hoping for!

Rating: ****



Military Wives (12A) - what's it about? Based on the true story of the formation of the first Military Wives Choir.

I wanted to see this because it seemed quite good from the adverts, and as a movie it was actually pretty good. It does have quite a few funny moments in it but also some sad ones, I think I shed a tear several times in this, not full on balling but I had a few moments. I'm not sure how much of it is true, but if you have any Military connection you would probably like this more as you could relate to the lifestyle more than someone who doesn't. Yeah if you'd like a laugh and a cry and watch a good girlie story this is worth a look - that said it'll probably appeal more to the older audience.

Rating: ****



Fantasy Island (15) - what's it about? A group of people have won a holiday to fantasy island where they can have one desire come true.

I saw the adverts and thought it would be worth a watch as it looked like it could be a good horror. It was pretty average on the scare scale, it was good don't get me wrong, but it wasn't really scary in my book. The characters were good, but it was a pretty predictable film - mostly. Yeah it was good to pass the time, so if you like a little bit of horror in your life but don't want to be scared shitless or grossed out by too much gore then this is worth a look. Yeah it was good but just sadly not really really good.




The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (DVD - 12A) - what's it about? A continuation of The Hunger Games story where Katniss helps fuel the rebellion.

I thought I'd give this one a re-watch as I haven't seen it in a bit. It's one of those that you need to have watched all the previous films to know what's going on as this is a proper continuation of the storyline. It was one of those though where they decided to split the film into two different parts, maybe to get the story in or maybe to make more money, but they probably could have just done long film - but I haven't seen the last part in a while so maybe with a re-watch I'll change my mind. Yeah, it's pretty good and it does do enough to keep it going, yeah, it's an enjoyable watch that kept me entertained for a couple of hours.

Rating: ***


No comments:

Post a Comment