Tuesday 7 January 2020

Movies: JoJo Rabbit (12A), Godzilla (DVD – 12), Tron Legacy (DVD – PG), GI Joe: Retaliation (DVD 12) & The Gentlemen (18)


JoJo Rabbit (12A) – what’s it about? A comedy about a young boy growing up in Nazi Germany.

I really wasn’t sure if I wanted to watch this, as I dislike anything to do with the World Wars because it’s usually too heart wrenching as you know that shit was real bad. But I thought what the hell as it seemed like a light-hearted look on things, rather than full on battlefields I would go and see it, and it had its moments. There were a few bits that were quite funny, this is a quirky film but also kind of thought provoking in its silly way – but as it was done with a bit of humour and it remains light-hearted mainly throughout it’s not at all a tear jerker. If you would like a bit of a giggle at a subject which isn’t really funny then this may be worth a look.

Rating: ***



Godzilla (DVD – 12) – what’s it about? A MUTO awakens and Godzilla surfaces to try to destroy the monster.

I like a good monster movie so when I found this cheap I had to pick it up as I don’t think I’ve seen it since it was near on released on DVD. This one doesn’t disappoint, it does have flashes of the old monster films which gives it a good feeling. It also has enough non-monster storyline going on to keep it a little interesting than just Godzilla smash, as well as the whole thing that there’s now giant monsters loose hell-bent on destroying civilisation as we know it. Yeah if you like a good bit of two massive creatures slogging it out and taking down half a city in the process then this one would be right up your street. Just for the love of god don’t ask Godzilla to pick anything up!

Rating: ****



Tron Legacy (DVD – PG) – what’s it about? Years after the original Tron, Sam goes on a quest to find his father and ends up sucked into the virtual world.

It’s been a really long time since I saw the original Tron, and I watched Legacy a long while ago so thought I’d give it a re-watch as I couldn’t quite remember the storyline. When I put it on though, it all came flooding back. It’s got a good bit of story, some interesting characters and some nice action scenes and graphics, it really does open up Tron a little more which is quite cool. I liked this one, but then I like to dabble in games, but I am not sure if non-gamers or those who didn’t like the original would rate this the same as me, but it’s worth a look if you are a bit geeky.

Rating: ****



GI Joe: Retaliation (DVD 12) - what's it about? The president ends the Joe's, those surviving battle to uncover a plot by the Cobra.

I thought I'd give this one a rewatch as I watched the first one a little while ago. I have to say I think this one was a little better. It had the Joe's as you expect them, like the first, the action scenes which this is all about were really good, some nic cheesey fight scenes. It had a simple story but there was enough there to give some entertainment, younger teenage boys will probably live this one! Yep if you want to watch a light action movie, then this will probably be for you.

Rating: ***



The Gentlemen (18) - what's it about? A journalist tries to con some gangsters.

So this is by Guy Ritchie so if you've seen any of his films you'll know his style. This is much of the same, a gangster film with some violence, drugs and a hell of alot of swearing. If you like a bit of a gritty storyline, some good old gangsterness and all that jazz then this will be right up your street. I kind of think this is a 3 1/2 star film really.

Rating: ***


No comments:

Post a Comment