Friday 13 December 2019

Movies: Knowing (DVD – 15), Last Christmas (12A), Knives Out (12A), Gremlins (35th Anniversary) (12A), Hotel Transylvania (DVD – PG)

Knowing (DVD – 15) – what’s it about? After a time-capsule is pulled out of the ground John works out the document his son is given lists predictions of major disasters.

I thought I’d give this a re-watch as I hadn’t seen it in a while and couldn’t fully remember the story. This is one of those interesting disaster movies as it’s not just like the run of the mill as it has numerous disaster bits in it but also stuff to do with the whole mystery that’s got to be solved. It’s kind of graphic in parts though like ouch so I’d probably say it’s not for anyone that’s too young for the age rating or anyone who’s really squeamish. The story kept me intrigued throughout even though I think this is the second or so time that I’ve watched it. I would say though it would have been better if they cut off the last 5 or so minutes of the film as it just doesn’t seem to fit, though I think they did it so the film didn’t end up on a downer. Yeah it’s a good film and worth a watch if you haven’t seen it.

Rating: ***





Last Christmas (12A) – what’s it about? Girl meets guy and she falls for him and it changes her whole outlook on life.

Ok so I really wasn’t going to see this one as I thought ugh another sappy love story and it’s a Christmas one to boot so I can’t think of much else worse than this. But a friend of mine saw it and talked me around to going to watch it, and well I was pleasantly surprised by it. It definitely had its moments and it was quite amusing throughout and of course heart-warming, even though I could see the plot coming a mile off. This is definitely a chick flick, a good blanket and tub of ice cream is calling…and don’t forget the obligatory box of tissues.

Rating: ****





Knives Out (12A) – what’s it about? A murder takes place and a Private Investigator is called to solve the crime.

This is basically like watching Cluedo or one of those old school murder mysteries, which in this day and age is quite refreshing to see as it’s not like all the other films out at the moment. I usually love a good mystery movie or show where you have to try to figure things out as it goes on, but I did find this a little underwhelming, it was pretty predicable but at the same time it was a fun watch. If you like a bit of mystery or want to watch something a little different then I’d get out your magnify glass and check this one out.

Rating: ***



Gremlins (2019 35th Anniversary) (12A) – what’s it about? Billy gets given a new pet by his father and he doesn’t follow the rules so all hell breaks loose.


So the cinema is currently showing Gremlins which has been remastered for its 35th anniversary so I thought this could be quite cool to see so I decided to check it out. Now sadly I was a little young when this was released, so I was really looking forward to getting to see this on the big screen rather than just the small one. It was an awesome film back in the day and to see it again brought back a lot of good memories. They’ve done good work upgrading it but because of its age it was still a bit dated, that said though it was totally worth seeing it again!

Rating: ***




Hotel Transylvania (DVD – PG) – what’s it about? Dracula’s daughter comes of age and she meets a human boy and falls in love.

I hadn’t see this until now, and my friends kind of mocked me when the 3rd one come out as in they thought I would have been all over it being the mopey goth adult, but nah I missed it in the cinema and never got it until now. I now totally regret not seeing this sooner, it was freaking awesome, so amusing and well just general cartoon fun really. It was just a fun story and nicely done, it would definitely be one that your kids will love (unless they are complete scaredy cats). It was really nice to see, as the only other spooky cartoon out like this has been The Addams Family. If you haven’t see it and like things childly spooky then you should totally check this one out.

Rating: ****


No comments:

Post a Comment