Sunday 29 December 2019

Movies: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (12A), Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (DVD - 15), Demolition Man (DVD - 15), Spies in Disguise (PG), Playing with Fire (PG) & Cats (U)

Star Wars: The rise of Skywalker (12A) - what's it about? The final chapter of the main Star Wars story where Rey must battle the Sith and stop the dark side from taking over the galaxy.

I had to jump to see this as soon as it come out, just because you know Star Wars. I wouldn’t say I’m a fangirl - well you know not an uber hardcore fan so keep that in mind. I liked this one, I thought it was good, had the Star Wars feel, and it was nice that Carrie Fisher was in it but I did find there were a few plot holes in the story which was quite frustrating. Yeah was a good watch and a nice end to the story. I think some hardcore fans will probably nitpick this but for a general fan it was enjoyable.

Rating: ***



Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (DVD - 15) - what's it about? A squad must transport some stuff across a war zone and all doesn't go according to plan.

I popped in the shop and found this, to tell you the truth I didn't even know it was released, I loved the first one so decided to grab it. It's a bit different to the first but a good story which is filled with some good action, it's a good war film but it's focused on the team rather than the greater war. It's a good watch, if you like war stuff or enjoyed the first it’s worth giving it a watch.

Rating: ***



Demolition Man (DVD - 15) - what's it about? After being frozen for crimes a cop and a criminal get thawed and all hell breaks loose.

I hadn't seen this in a long while and had to give it a re-watch. They don't make movies like this with crazy ass villains any more. It's got a bit of a story but mainly focuses on the action, explosions etc. It's got some good humour in it that gave me a chuckle. It's one of those that you'll either love it or you'll think what have I just watched. Yep I liked it, a good futurist film!

Rating: ****



Spies in Disguise (PG) - what's it about? A top spy ends up getting accidently turned into a pigeon.

Ok so from the adverts this looked like it could be fun and amusing, sometimes the world needs something silly to make it laugh, and for me this didn’t disappoint. There were quite a few moments in it where I loled, which I was quite surprised at. Just think cartoon James Bond but with pigeons and that basically sums up this film so if you are a fan of spy action stuff but also like a good cartoon then this has it all. It also has enough humour which the kids will get but it also had stuff as an adult that I found really amusing. This is an all-round film that’s worth a look.

Rating: ***



Playing with Fire (PG) - what's it about? Three kids end up caught in a house fire and are saved by smoke jumpers, who have to look after them until their parents arrive.

I thought this may have been amusing from the adverts but it also could be really bad, sadly it ended up being the latter, it was just meh, totally meh. I feel my rating though of 1 star is probably a little harsh as it did have a couple of moments I found slightly funny but it wasn’t good enough to give it 2 stars in my book. This is one that is aimed at littler kids and doesn’t really have much to it. It’s just yeah, you’ll end up watching this if you have kids and you’ll probably have had enough after 5 minutes.

Rating: *



Cats (U) - what's it about? The Jellicles cats must decide who of them will ascend to the Heaviside Layer.

I was in two minds if to see this as I am not really a fan of musicals at all in the cinema, I love a good musical stage show but I think somehow they lose something being transported into the big screen. A friend of mine when I asked her though said she thought I’d like this but warned me it was a lot of singing and it was kind of weird the cats being so humanlike. I agree with her after seeing this, it’s a lot of singing and the cats were kind of disturbing, though I’m pretty sure the furries will appreciate them. Yeah it was an alright watch, though I have not seen the stage show so I cannot compare it, but I have to admit I did shed a tear in it, so it did hit me in the feels. Yep worth a watch if you like musicals.

Rating: ***


No comments:

Post a Comment