Sunday 20 September 2020

Movies: The Willoughbys (Netflix – PG), The Wandering Earth (Netflix – 15), Princess Mononoke (Netflix – PG), Altered Carbon: Resleeved (Netflix – 15), Megamind (Netflix – PG), I See You (Netflix – 15), Otherlife (Netflix – TV-MA) & Tau (15)


The Willoughby’s (Netflix – PG) – So this is an animated movie about a very odd family, the children are unloved by their parents so they decide to send them away and fend for themselves. It was pretty quirky which was what it was advertised as so it did delivery on that front. It had a few amusing parts but also hit on some subjects which were a little meh (not happy families if you get my meaning). Yep if you want to watch a nice kids film which is a little different then this will be worth looking at, if you are not into animated stuff then give it a miss.
Rating: ***



The Wandering Earth (Netflix – 15) – I tried to watch this once and turned it off after about a minute, I don’t know I just wasn’t in the mood to watch it. I am so glad I decided to watch it fully and stick with it, it was surprisingly a really good story and movie generally once I got into it. If you want to watch something that is completely unbelievable but also quite a possibility then this is probably worth a watch, it’s not really sci-fi but is a bit, kind of a bit of survival or disaster movie as well. Yep give it a chance if you like something a little different.
Rating: ***



Princess Mononoke (Netflix – PG) – I hadn’t seen this in years and I thought I would give it a re-watch. It’s a good story and animated movie, the story is quite touching really and also hits home about how humans treat the world we live in. You see it’s about a boy who gets cursed, he heads off to find a cure for his curse and meets a girl who was raised by wolves, and together their story gets entangled. If you like Studio Ghibli and the magic these films hold, and you haven’t seen this one then it is definitely worth checking out.
Rating: ***



Altered Carbon: Resleeved (Netflix – 15) – I watched this one as it looked interesting, at the time I didn’t realise this is a movie which is a spin off from a TV series. I’d usually watch the TV series first and then the film, but I messed up this time doh. I have the series saved now! Its set in the future where people’s memories are downloaded onto chips and then if their body dies their chips can be put into another body. So it could come to be in the future, who knows, that said as a movie the concept it works really well. I wasn’t sure on the animation style to start with but it does work well with this film and the era it is set in. Yep time now to crack out the series!
Rating: ***



Megamind (Netflix – PG) – I hadn’t seen this in a while so decided to give it a re-watch and I forgot how much I liked this and how funny it is. Yep if you want to watch an animated film, that instead of the normal story – it focuses on the baddie rather than the goodie, then you should watch this. Well this really shows the life of a villain isn’t always fun and never quite goes according to plan, the poor guy. It’s just generally an all-round good film which the whole family will enjoy, it’s got story, fun characters, humour and well good animation. If you haven’t seen it then I would totally check it out.
Rating: ****



I See You (Netflix – 15) – I was recommended to watch this one by my family, they said it’s really creepy – you need to watch it, so I did. Yeah it was a good film, it’s about some odd goings on in a family’s home where things don’t go as expected. I didn’t really find it that creepy or disturbing, maybe you would if you had a big house like they did and things, but it wasn’t scary or anything, it was however quite believable, so maybe that’s where the creep factor comes in. I thought the story was pretty predicable sadly, maybe I’ve just watched too many films. It was though still an entertaining watch, so maybe give it a bash if you like a light horror.
Rating: ***



Otherlife (Netflix – TV-MA) – This one is about a brother and sister, the sister invents a programmed drug which allows users to experience a virtual pre-programmed scenario. You know like experiencing the world in a different way, in a fully immersive experience. I didn’t really know much about this film but it did really draw me in and I really did enjoy it, if you like a bit of sci-fi which is fully believable with some messed up shit that goes on, then this might be the film for you. Yeah I really did enjoy it, don’t know why but it just worked.
Rating: ****



Tau (15) – Again with this one I wasn’t too sure what it was going to be about, I’d watched the trailer and that was about it. It’s basically about a girl that gets kidnapped and forced into helping a technology creator against her will. Its sci-fi, and again I wouldn’t say too far off that it’s unbelievable. It’s quite a good story, and considering there is only really three characters in the most part of it, it works really well. I wouldn’t expect all flash and bang with this one, it is again more of a story driven film but it has an interesting concept. Yep if you want to watch a little bit of sci-fi this is probably worth your time, just again don’t expect to be wowed by it.
Rating: ***


No comments:

Post a Comment