Wednesday 2 September 2020

Movies: Pinocchio (2020) (PG), Babyteeth (15), The Vigil (15), Tenet (12A) & The New Mutants (15)


Pinocchio (2020) (PG) – So I went to see this thinking its Pinocchio, should be good. Well, well, well this was the worst film I have seen since Midsommar – and that’s saying something. How bad this was everyone in the cinema walked out, just leaving me on my lonesome to stick it out. It may have made more sense in the dialogues native language, but its translation into English wasn’t good, it left it with no story really. If I didn’t know the story of Pinocchio I wouldn’t have had a clue what was going on really. Yeah, I would save your time and money and don’t bother with this one.
Rating: *



Babyteeth (15) – This was another international film, this time Australian. I kind of like their humour in things and how they film things differently. This is one of those where you will need tissues, it’s very emotional. It’s also a bit disturbing, as where it’s about a 15 year old girl who befriends (and fancies) a 23 year old druggie, that said nothing happens until she’s 16 but it still creeped me out. It’s a bit of a messed up story but it’s also so normal (that’s not the right word), that its believable, the way it was done made me really feel like I was watching the families lives. If you want to see something story driven and emotional this may be worth checking out.
Rating: ***



The Vigil (15) – I wanted to see this one as I hadn’t seen a horror in the cinema for a bit. Sadly though this wasn’t scary at all, it was a little meh really. It had all the makings of what could be a good film but it just didn’t deliver, I can’t really say much without spoiling it but the pinnacle part was just a complete let down. The only thing that interested me with this was seeing something from a Jewish perspective rather than it being all to do with Catholicism or Christianity so that was a little refreshing. If you want to watch a real light horror, probably a 12 really, then it might be ok, but if you like your horror a little more spooky then maybe give this one a miss.
Rating: **



Tenet (12A) – This has been pretty hyped, maybe more so with the cinemas closing and it waiting in the wings for things to come back online. I thought it might be interesting and cool, but it sadly in my book didn’t meet up to the hype. I was expecting something more but it turned out to sadly be quite predictable and an average time-travel film. I can’t really say much about the plot without spoiling it, so I’m not going to say anything on that. That said it was still good, an enjoyable watch, the action was entertaining and the storyline was pretty interesting, it is worth a watch really, it just didn’t wow me.
Rating: ***



The New Mutants (15) – I’ve been waiting for this for a long while, as we saw the advertisement at Comic Con ages back, but most people know the story of why this was delayed. I’m an X-Men fan and just generally love their universe, so it was good to see another story from it, focusing on some of the other characters. It’s one of those where you can just watch, and you don’t need to know all the backstories or watch the other films. As long as you know a loose bit of information about mutants, then you’ll be able to watch this. It was nice to have a film that wasn’t focused on superheroes too, the way this was done does make it more believable. Yep, if you like the X-Men universe then this may be worth a look, but again just don’t be expected to be blown away.
Rating ***


No comments:

Post a Comment