Monday 22 July 2019

Movies: Lion King (2019) (PG), Gods of Egypt (DVD – 12), Madagascar (DVD – U), Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (DVD – 18) & Gladiator (DVD – 15)

Lion King (2019 - PG) – what’s it about? Simba is destined to be King, but his evil uncle takes the throne, can Simba regain his confidence and save the heartlands from his evil ways.

So if you aren’t aware this is the remake of the Disney cartoon, and well I was kind of sitting on the fence with this one, it could be good or really bad. What to say about this one? The up to date CGI gave this a completely different feel to it compared to the cartoon. It did stay quite true to the original with most of the scenes and the songs, so the journey throughout it was pretty much the same. I haven’t seen the original in quite a while though but from memory there were a couple of scenes missing and I think a couple added. In all though it was a good watch, all round enjoyable really, if you are hardcore true to the original you may be disappointed though. I think this is really a 3 ½ star movie, and I think I’m being a bit tight only saying 3.

Rating: ***



Gods of Egypt (DVD – 12) – what’s it about? A take on ancient Egyptian mythology where Horus tries to defeat Seth and rise to be king.

So I thought I’d give this a re-watch as I hadn’t seen it for a while and I forgot how much I liked it, its one of those flashy films which has a bit of story and action. Now I really love ancient Egyptian stuff so I may be a little bias here with my rating, I’m not sure if others would give it one star less. I’d say if you liked the Mummy films or maybe even Prince of Persia and stuff like that then you’ll probably like this one as it’s got that same type of cheesy adventure vibe to it.

Rating: ****



Madagascar (DVD – U) – what’s it about? The adventures of the animals of the New York Zoo.

This was another one that I hadn’t seen in a bit so thought I’d give it another watch, I like Dreamworks stuff, they are usually pretty good films, and if you like one of their animated movies then you’ll probably like the others. This one doesn’t disappoint with the humour and story; the characters are pretty amusing and animals are always cute. Yep its one of those that’s a fun film for all the family and a nice easy watch which will give you a giggle.

Rating: ***



Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (DVD – 18) – what’s it about? Jay and Silent Bob take a road trip to Hollywood to try to stop the Bluntman & Chronic movie from being made.

OMG its been years since I saw this, so when I saw it in the shop for like 50p I couldn’t resist picking it up again. There’s not really much depth in this movie so don’t expect to be enthralled by an epic adventure. If you like teenage boy humour or are a stoner then you’ll probably find this amusing, its one of those comedies that is just stupid really but really funny because of it (of course some of it is cringe worthy). If you’d like to watch something silly then this is worth a watch or a re-watch in time for the Jay & Silent Bob Reboot movie which comes out later on in the year.

Rating: ***



Gladiator (DVD – 15) – what’s it about? After being betrayed by the new Emperor, Maximus gets taken as a slave and made into a gladiator.

This is quite an old one now, but I remember liking it when I saw it in the past, so I thought I’d give it another re-watch and it is still a great movie. It has got a moving story, that will keep you engrossed the whole way through, and there is enough action in it to also keep you entertained, it’s not one of these epics where they just talk for hours and hours where you want the film to end. It was done really well, as it’s got a good mix for everyone and the effects in it haven’t seemed to have aged badly either. If you like your historical type movies that have a good story that will suck you into the world then I would highly recommend watching this one or re-watching it if you haven’t seen it in a while.

Rating: ****


No comments:

Post a Comment